Wow, that title is quite a mouth full, but these are just a couple of the topics covered in a recent interview I had with Michael Smith for his blog, The Red and Black Architect. I’m not going to copy and paste the full interview here, but instead suggest you jump over to his blog and give it a read, but I do want to give you a taste of it. One of the questions asked was,


Over the last decade or so we have seen remarkable things happen, such as Wikipedia and Twitter through internet based technologies. What effect are these developments having on the practice of architecture and where do you see the future headed?

I see two really big things happening.

The first is architects being able to better match themselves with clients. This is hugely valuable because the chances of creating a great project lies in having clients who “get you”. In the past potential clients who came to an architect may have been passed on from another client, or found you in the yellow pages and to a large extent knew very little about you. It was a connection of proximity, rather than of relevance.

What the online world does is provide architects with a much larger pool of potential clients, but also a platform to explain who you really are and what you’re passionate about. You can do this slowly with a blog, and you can provide detail, and by the time a potential client walks through your door they have had a relationship with you for months. If you’re truly honest you’ll be able to scare away 90% of the clients you never wanted in the first place, and connect with the other 10% who are just right for you. So my guess is that we’ll see a whole bunch of smaller practices, being highly creative and really crushing it because of the online world. That’s super exciting.


To read the full article click here:

http://theredandblackarchitect.wordpress.com/2012/12/09/linking-into-the-future-qa-with-nic-granleese/