In this post I want to take a look at the BowerBird Instagram account (check it out here) and look for patterns in the most popular architectural photos.
As some background, Ben Morgan runs the BowerBird Instagram account and in the last 12 months he’s posted over 600 projects from a wide range of different architects and photographers. Last week BowerBird hit 10,000 followers on Instagram and out of interest we took a look at what the most popular projects had been (see screenshot below) and then asked ourselves, “Why these projects? Do they have anything in common?”
Here’s a couple things we noticed:
- There’s lots of single point perspective shots. (Elevations, centered on the building.)
- They are almost all exterior shots.
- Skies are present in almost all the shots
- There’s often some context of the neighbouring buildings.
- Daylight shots, not twilight shots are more popular.
- People are not so common, but a giraffe is in one.
If you have some observations of your own, please leave a comment below. And if you’re interested in having one of your projects featured on the BowerBird Instagram account you can contact Ben here. He’s always looking for new projects.